SCYAP, a leading provider of mental and behavioral health services to children and families in South Carolina, has expanded its services array to include school-based mental health services (SBMHS). Schools play a key role in supporting positive child and adolescent mental health. To help mitigate the mental health crisis facing our children today and address long-standing access issues, SCYAP is partnering with schools and districts to offer convenient access to mental health services and supports to students in the familiar setting of their schools.
What Services are Available?
- Diagnostic Assessments
- Individual Psychotherapy
- Family Psychotherapy
- Group Psychotherapy
- Crisis Management
- Service Plan Development
- Telepsychiatry/In-Person Psychiatry in Columbia, SC
Why Provide SBMHS?
- SBMHS can help students resolve mental health concerns, including anxiety, depression, trauma, chronic absenteeism, low motivation/self-esteem, anger, oppositional behavior, and suicidal ideation.
- Access to SBMHS can reduce academic challenges, disciplinary referrals, substance abuse, dropout, and involvement in the criminal justice system.
- Youth are more likely to participate in and complete mental health treatment when offered in schools than in community settings.
- SBMHS can reduce stigma surrounding mental health and access barriers for underserved populations.
Where do SBMHS take place?
- SBMHS are provided within the school building in person or via telemental health during the school day.
- SBMHS are provided in a confidential and safe setting.
- Telemental health services are delivered by video using a HIPAA-compliant electronic application called Doxy.me.
Who provides SCYAP SBMHS?
- Licensed Mental Health Counselors
- Licensed Social Workers
- All SCYAP SBMHS providers must successfully complete criminal background and sex offender registry checks.
Who is eligible for SCYAP SBMHS?
- Students in grades PreK-12 enrolled in a school/district that has partnered with SCYAP to provide SBMHS.
- Students who are enrolled in or eligible for S.C. Medicaid.